Thursday 16 September 2010

And they're off! AS students make a great start.....

As we approach the end of week two, it is fair to say that you have made a great start! The best thing is the amount you have taught me...I am suddenly an expert in high cholesterol, diabetes (I think!), and metabolic syndrome. I need to practice what I preach!

Although it took ten minutes, Abdi came up with the goods explaining in detail the differences between LDL's, HDL's and the links to CHD and obesity levels. We have acknowledged for some time that the UK has high levels in all of these contemporary concerns but the arguement regarding prevention rather than cure rumbles on as we can't agree on the solutions.

However, if you think we have problems then check this out. I would never have guessed that Finland has one of the highest global cholesterol levels. All of a sudden it makes sense! I'm sure I read years ago that cereals...yes cereals (high salt and sugar content) were banned in some Scandanavian countries in an effort to reduce the level of heart related illness. I never really had true faith in this flimsy fact but now I have real evidence to suggest I was talking sense all the time. Can someone please put me of my misery and confirm its true!

To make the fact more dramatic, I go on to compare the troubles of Finland to Japan which I know is one the healthiest countries in the world. All the sushi and the natural oils found in fish no doubt contributes to the low levels of visceral fat which accounts for a significant proprotion of heart related fatilities in the Western world. Once combined with good activity patterns you get a recipe for a healthy and active lifestyle which leads to a 'Healthy Nation' where life is sweet and less troublesome as the population becomes older - I am experiencing this at the moment as I like to think I'm aging gracefully!!

Now if I'm honest about it, I always think I need to do more as I fit the bill when it comes to the stereo-typical non-participant giving all the reasons in the world for not taking part. I blame a lack of fitness, resources and time but could I do more? The answer is a loud YES! I don't doubt my ability to maintain my fitness once I get going but getting started is so difficult. I have however given myself four weeks to get out and blow away the fitness cob-webs so if you see me munching away on a chocolate bar or juicy piece of cake (or both at the same time), just do me a favour - grab it and throw it away. (nb. please replace with fruit! If you bring it in, I promise to eat it!!!!).

Now for the real issue. As I said earlier we can't agree on the solutions to our national health problems in the UK. So can we learn from Japan and Finland? Would banning certain foods help? We know that combining regular excercise with a balanced diet will reduce obesity and CHD levels but what is stopping us from doing it? I love sport yet I don't do any so why would people who hate exercise take part?

The lasting problem is an aging population who think little of enjoying their elderly years instead left to deal with the excesses of yesteryear which undoubtedly puts a strain on our health service. Surely the money should be pumped into schools and clubs to get us all up and out from a young age...it happens in Australia so why can't we do it?

Given the power though i.e. if you were Prime Minister, what would you do? Save people from themselves at a younger age or invest money into making life comfortable when it's too late.

Maybe the Olympics of 2012 is the start we need to start building a legacy as a globaly perceived 'Healthy nation'.

Sources:

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/high_cholesterol/article_em.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/type-1-diabetes/DS00329

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/AboutCholesterol/Good-vs-Bad-Cholesterol_UCM_305561_Article.jsp

http://www.springerlink.com/content/b011711g64k05142/

No comments: